Use this guide to identify research tools and strategies for the study of literature from around the world, excluding the United States and Great Britain.
Last Updated: May 10, 2013
Feminist Encyclopedia of Spanish Literature
Call Number: Ref PQ 6055 .F46 2002 v.1-2
Indiana Companion to Traditional Chinese Literature
Call Number: Ref PL 2264 .L5 I53 1986 v.1-2
Encyclopedia of German Literature
Call Number: Ref PT 91 .E53 2000 v.1-2
- Use the tab above: Find Author Information
- Information about World Authors can be found using HENRY, in library databases and on the web.
A Literary Work?
- Use the tab above: Find Literary Works
- Get tips for locating works of literature in HENRY, as well as library databases and websites that offer full-text access to works of World Literature.
- Use the tab above: Find Literary Criticism
- Identify sources and strategies for locating literary criticism in library resources and online.
Cite Your Sources?
- Encyclopedia of World Literature in the 20th Century
Call Number: Ref PN 771 .E5 1981 v.1-5
Articles cover the authors and literatures of countries around the globe during the 20th century.
- Critical Survey of Poetry
Call Number: Ref PN 1021 .C7 2011 v.1-14
Also available online via Salem Literature Online.
- Critical Survey pf Drama
Call Number: Ref PN 1625 .C68 2003 v.1-8
- Oxford Reference Online Database -- Literature
Access to a collection of online dictionaries and encyclopedias related to literature.
- Oxford English Dictionary
The history and meaning of English words.
- Encyclopedia of the Novel
Call Number: Ref PN 41 .E487 1998
Articles in this encyclopedia cover authors, novels, and literatures of countries around the world.
Here are some of the relevant Library of Congress classifications for
PG = Russian
PL = Asian & African
PQ = French & Spanish
PT = German
Cambridge Histories -- Includes volumes on 14 subject areas, including Literary Studies. Literatures covered include Arabic, Australian, Canadian, French, Irish, Italian, Latin American, Spanish and these highlighted titles:
Cambridge History of African and Caribbean Literature
According to the publisher, "chapters [of this work] address the literature itself, the practices and conditions of its composition, and its complex relationship with African social and geopolitical history."
Also available in print: Ref PN 841 .I74 2004 v.1-2
Cambridge History of Chinese Literature
According to the publisher, "these two volumes tell the story of Chinese writing, both as an instrument of the state and as a medium for culture outside the state." Coverage starts with the beginnings of Chinese writing and continues to the present.
Also available in print: Ref PL 2265 .C36 2010 v.1-2
Cambridge History of Russian Literature
Provides coverage of Russian literature from the Middle Ages through the 20th century. The 19th and 20th centuries are covered in the most detail.