Use this guide to identify research tools and strategies for the study of American Literature.
- Use the tab above: Find Author Information
- Information about world authors can be found using HENRY, in library databases and on the web.
A Literary Work?
- Use the tab above: Finding Literary Works
- Get tips for locating works of literature in HENRY, as well as library databases and websites that offer full-text access to literary works from around the globe.
- Use the tab above: Find Literary Criticism
- Identify sources and strategies for locating literary criticism in library resources and online.
Cite Your Sources?
Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
Call Number: Ref PE 1591 .L625 2012
The perfect tool for finding the perfect word, the Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus is an invaluable source of inspiration as well as an authoritative guide to selecting and using vocabulary. Packed with information, this essential guide for writers includes more than 300,000 synonyms and 10,000 antonyms, with real-life example sentences to help you pick the correct word.
- Oxford Reference Online Database -- Literature
Access to a collection of online dictionaries and encyclopedias related to literature.
- Oxford English Dictionary
The history and meaning of English words.
- Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia of American Literature
Call Number: Ref PS 21 .B46 1991
- Oxford Encyclopedia of American Literature
Call Number: Ref PS 21 .E537 2003 v.1-4
- Encyclopedia of the Novel
Call Number: Ref PN 41 .E487 1998
The Library of Congress section for
American Literature is
Literary History of the United States --
Ref PS 88 .L522 1974
Cambridge Histories -- Includes volumes on 14 subject areas, including British History and English Literature. Here are some of the highlighted titles:
Cambridge History of the American Novel
According to the publisher, "this ambitious literary history traces the American novel from its emergence in the late eighteenth century to its diverse incarnations in the multi-ethnic, multi-media culture of the present day." Classics, as well as the science fiction and mystery novel genres are discussed. (1 volume)
Cambridge History of African American Literature
This volume "presents a comprehensive overview of the literary traditions, oral and print, of African-descended peoples in the United States." Four hundred years of writing are discussed. (1 volume)